(as seen on August 20, 2015 on ABC 7’s Chef Judi)
2 cups Duck Confit
1 cup Roasted Grapes
1 cup Marinated Goat Cheese
½ cup Toasted Almonds
1cup Chopped Raw Kale
1 Grilled Flatbread
Directions Lightly brush grilled flatbread with olive oil. Evenly spread toppings over grilled flatbread and bake at 300º for 15 minutes. Slice and serve immediately.
Makes 2 # dough enough for 4 large servings
¼ oz active dry yeast(2 packets)
4 ½ to 5 ½ cups all purpose flour plus more for dusting
2 cups warm water(105-115 degrees F)
2 teaspoons salt
1. Whisk together yeast, 2 tablespoons flour, and ½ cup of water in a small bowl. Let mixture stand for 8 – 10 minutes, until it becomes foamy and yeast is activated. ( If this doesn’t happen, yeast might is bad. Start over)
2. Stir together salt and 3 cups of flour in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture and remaining 1 ½ cups of warm water and stir until smooth. Next stir in 1 cup more flour.(up to ¾ cup more) If the dough sticks to your fingers, stir in just enough flour, a little at a time, to make the dough come away from the bowl.
3. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface with floured hands, lightly reflouring work surface and your hand when dough becomes too sticky, until dough is smooth, soft, and elastic, about 10 minutes
4. Divide the dough between 2 balls, then generously dust balls all over with flour and put each in a medium sized bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size. About and hour.
5. Roll out dough and brush with olive oil. Grill both sides over medium heat and set aside.
Duck cure mix: 3tbl salt
½ tsp sugar
1tsp pepper, black
1tsp coriander, ground
¾ tsp cumin, ground
• Season duck legs with cure mix on both sides. Marinate for 2 hours.
After legs have marinated, place in appropriate sized baking pan. Cover legs with duck fat. Cook the duck legs in a 300 degree oven for 2 -2 ½ hours. Remove from oven and shred meat off of bone. Cool /store remaining duck legs in the fat.
Port Wine Roasted Grapes
Place grapes in a medium size mixing bowl and cover with port wine. Place in refrideraor overnight. Stain grapes and spread grapes evenly on a non-stick cookie sheet. Cook 5-7 minutes at 300º.
Marinated Goat Cheese
Cover 1 cup of goat cheese with olive oil and 2 whole garlic cloves. refrigerate overnight.
Chef Paul Mattison, Executive Chef and Proprietor of Mattison’s
®Chef Paul Mattison, 2015